May 26 marks the 40th birthday of iconic singer-songwriter and rapper Lauryn Hill. Ms. Hill may be more widely talked about as of late for her eccentricities and erratic career moves, but the multiple grammy award winning artist will always be remembered and beloved for her undeniable musical talent.
To celebrate Hill's birthday and bask in her shining example of black girl excellence, check out these five incredible performances from throughout the years.
1. "Doo Wop (That Thing)" at the Billboard Awards in 1998
2. "Killing Me Softly" Live in Japan in 1999
3. "War in the Mind" MTV Unplugged in 2001
4. Surprise Performance at Welcome Philadelphia in 2012
5. "Turn Your Lights Down Low" at One Love Concert in Tribute to Bob Marley in 1999
Photo: Getty Images